Friday, October 29, 2004

Cheque, cheque, testing, testing...

My Guy and I have continued our regular correspondence, to my overwhelming glee. He had since invited me to see "Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence" with him, which is an anime about robots that go crazy and kill people, and the cyborg police who have to crack the case. I haven't seen the first one, or watched the series, but judging by the synopsises (is that the right word?) I've been reading, I don't think it'll be necessary. He has also, more recently, added the bonus of getting dim sum along with the movie, something I've never had but I'm sure I'll enjoy. I'm still a little worried, though. I've never before been in any sort of relationship other than one of pure convenience with the members of the male gender, and as I have never dated, I am still a little rusty on how things should be done. While he asked me to the movie, and the dim sum, it would be proper to assume that he will be paying, just as I would had I asked him. However, regarding a few choice words he made in his most recent electronical correspondences, I'm beginning to suspect that he expects us to go dutch. That's no problem for me, but I'm not sure how to ask him to clarify without being rude. He's a student with a part-time job, I'm not expecting him to be the Donald. However, how do I deal with this? When the inevitable situation of the cheque comes up, what will I do? Do I say, "I'll pay half"? If he was truly planning on shouldering the entire financial burden, that might offend him. However, if I stare blankly at the cheque and he is assuming that we will both pay, he might think I'm greedy, or exploitative, or stupid. I'm treading on thin ice here, as I have absolutely no experience. For now, I'll just bring some cash and my credit card just in case, and try to subtly hint that I'm unsure of how the bills should be paid...
I've completed all of my mid-terms with nary a scratch, and in my Earth and Atmospheric Science class, the interesting professor who had us read a huge chapter a day has switched to another professor who is just as interesting but only has us read a chapter a week, and you have no idea how much free time I have as a result. So I've begun writing my novel again, a habit I had neglected to pursue for the last few months due to the fact that I was busy copying the entire looseleaf manuscript onto my laptop - and the result was around 150 pages of writing! Yes! I believe this is the novel that I will finish!
I've also finished reviewing all of my books from the Green Man Review, so that means I will be receiving more books in time for the Christmas holiday, which is quite fine and dandy. As for clubs, I have regularily attended the BAKA meetings, and I recently won the Iron Chef of Pain Contest by presenting to the audience the 2nd episode of the "Bob the Ball" flash animation series. I plan on winning again next week with an entry that is just an nonsensical, but a mite less entertaining than the first. I'm still writing for The Gateway, and it is fab. So far I've received three free CDs for review, and I got to see "Shall We Dance?" in theatres equally free of charge. I also was assigned an interview with the rock band Yellowcard (quite famous), but they never called at the designated time and so the assignment collapsed with nothing to show for it. I've become inspired since acquiring the knowledge that students who contribute at least 15 articles to the paper get the bound edition of every Gateway issue of that year, which is personalized with one's name on it. It's about the size of an encyclopeidia (there's no spell check! argh!), and I wants it...yessssss.....
I've also taken to reading my mother's blog as of late (The Lesser of Two Weevils by Talmida) and post comments on them. Rather recently, I posted (anonymously) a bizarre question about generational punishment and why the Prince of Darkness is called the Prince and not king...read the comments of her recent entry, and you'll understand. Upon returning home, my mother immediately regales me with a tale of some "crazy person" making foolish remarks on her blog. With a straight face and a sympathetic smile, I witnessed my mother's rather nonplussed reaction to my spontaneous secret comment. I quickly go downstairs (where we have our second computer, the one I am writing my blog on presently) and write an equally funny comment that reveals my identity. Five minutes later I can hear her uproarious laughter all the way from the basement. Success! Yay for me!

1 comment:

  1. OH! Right!! THIS blog does not allow anonymous comments!! You are a craven poltroon, my darling girl! A chicken, a coward! *cluck cluck cluck*

    That was a very funny trick you pulled on me, AnimeJune and I did laugh 'til it hurt. Feel free to make any serious comments at the Weevil anytime you like.

    *biting my cheek to keep from laughing*

    xoxox
    Mum

    ReplyDelete