Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Weekly Wanting (3)

It's that time of the week again! Time to talk about which books I discovered that I've totally glommed on!

Kill Me Softly, by Sarah Cross
Genre: Fantasy YA
Story: A teenage orphan with mysterious parentage returns to the town of her birth and finds that it's full of dark, creepy fairy-tale characters and ancient curses.
Why I Want It? I love fairy-tale retellings!
I saw this around the blogosphere, but I wasn't sure what to think about the pretty, but still cheesy-as-hell cover. But reading the description from a Booksmugglers' Radar post sealed the deal. Sounds like what Once Upon A Time would have been like if it wasn't trying to suck up to the Disney channel.

Anna and the French Kiss, by Stephanie Perkins
Genre: Contemporary YA
Story: A Southern girl is unexpectedly shipped off to a boarding school in Paris, and has a lovely romantic adventure.
Why I Want It? A buttload of fabulous reviews.
Honestly, I've seen this book EVERYWHERE on the YA blogs for a couple of years, but I really wasn't all that interested in it. The cover makes it look fluffy and insubstantial and the plot didn't sound like anything special. HOWEVER, so MANY blogs have picked it as one of their favourite YA titles that maybe I should find this one at the library and see what all the fuss is about.

Bumped, Megan McCafferty
Genre: Future Dystopian YA
Story: In a world where everyone over 18 becomes infertile, teens are hired by the old to have babies in return for wealth and status - and two sisters have to struggle with whether or not they should.
Why I Want It? Intriguing idea, also - humour!
Look, I've been mainly avoiding the current YA craze of dystopian fantasies, with a few exceptions. I do like dark, layered, conflict-driven stories, but there is a thin line between dark and layered and A TOTAL DEPRESSING BUMMER (think the last two books of The Hunger Games. Do not want!). However, I was attracted to Bumped by a review for its sequel, Thumped, from Pure Imagination. When I looked up the review for the first book at Forever Young Adult (now one of my fave blogs and right up there with the BookSmugglers as my Foremost YA Review Authority) where it mentioned that it's more of a satire, with a comedic future view of a world where teen pregnancy is cool and everyone's doing it! The comedic nature made me want to check it out.

Fury, by Elizabeth Miles
Genre: Horror YA
Story: Two flawed teenagers in a small Maine town find themselves terrorized by modern incarnations of the vengeful Greek Furies.
Why I Want It? A great Booksmugglers review.
*sigh* I love the Booksmugglers - when they mentioned their excitement for Envy (the sequel), I looked up the review for the first book. Normally I'm really put off by horror and psychological thrillers, but I love Greek mythology as well as dark small-town settings.

Enchanted, Alethea Kontis
Genre: Fantasy-Romance YA
Story: An overlooked seventh daughter of a seventh daughter befriends a frog and bestows a kiss upon it - unfortunately she leaves before he changes back into a Prince! Now that his toes are no longer webbed, how can he re-woo the girl who looks on him as a stranger?
Why I Want It? Another fairy-tale retelling!
Chalk this up as another one for Pure Imagination! I read the review of it and I knew I wanted to read it! I've always loved The Frog Prince story - it's kind of a role-reversal of Beauty and the Beast, where the one who's enchanted is actually brave and valiant, while the Princess is the one who is spoiled and selfish. It doesn't look to be quite like that in this book, but it has princesses and magic in it so I'm sold! I just have to wait until it's released on May 8th, 2012.

What books are you looking forward to?

4 comments:

  1. I would definitely recommend Anna and the French Kiss. I have been recommending it to people who don't read YA and they have all thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXCELLENT. Yeah, I've been recommending Jennifer Echol's Going Too Far to people who don't read YA, specifically because THAT's the book that got me into YA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you love all of them! Bumped is so much fun and just odd...in a good way. And Anna!! I love Anna so much.

    Thanks for the link love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No probs! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete