Thursday, August 02, 2012

The July Round-Up

Another month has come and gone - which means (eep!) I only have one month to go until my deadline! Write write write...But enough about that! What did I read this month?

*July Winner!* Every Day, by David Levithan. YA, Fantasy. A+ 
Pros: Unique storyline, great characters, fascinating exploration of varying teenage perspectives, epic romance. Cons: Ending is a little unclear.

Persuasion, by Jane Austen. Romance, Classic. A+
Pros: Lovely romance, clever subtext, fantastic heroine (my favourite of Austen's). Cons: Some mixed messages.  

The Vicious Deep, by Zoraida Cordova. YA, Fantasy. B-
Pros: Great depiction of Coney Island setting, hilarious hero POV, great family dynamic, strong female love interest ... Cons: ...strong female love interest exhibits strength by doing stupid things. Magical mermaid setting is less well developed. Sloppy and unresolved ending. 

Crazy for Love, by Victoria Dahl. Romance, Contemporary.
Pros: Solid writing, lots of drama. Cons: Hero's serious anxiety disorder is shrugged off, unrealistically. Muddled romantic obstacles.

Wake, by Amanda Hocking. YA, Fantasy. D+
Pros: Heroines' love interests are respectful, nice boys. Interesting gender reversal in the supernatural-creature romance. Cons: Flacid "tell over show" writing style. Cutesy romance. Underdeveloped siren villainesses come close to body- and slut-shaming.

The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell, by Chris Colfer. Middle Grade, Fantasy. D+
Pros: Witty dialogue, creative idea. Cons: Lame "tell over show" writing style, over-convenient and nonsensical world-building, pedantic and patronizing tone, overromanticization of villainy.

*July Dud* Sins of a Wicked Duke, by Sophie Jordan. Romance, Historical. D-
Pros: Hero has a wicked-cool snake tattoo on his nipple - and don't worry if you missed the first time it was mentioned, it'll only be referenced again ANOTHER 1,284 TIMES. Cons: Victim-blaming slut-shaming sexually-assaulting hero + doormat "Oirish" Heroine with Fantastic Hair = The Opposite of FunTimes. 

The Heir, by Grace Burrowes. Romance, Historical. DNF 
Pros: Hero and heroine are respectful, sensible people who like to talk out their problems. Cons: Over a hundred pages of talking about their problems without actually encountering any problems! ZzzzZZzz....

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love the way you do your roundup, with the winner and the dud. :)

    Gah, another awful review of Wake. Maybe I should just give my ARC away unread. *looks askance at Wake*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D

      Mmmmm, well I'd love to say that every opinion can be different - but I wouldn't recommend it. Wake was head-deskingly stupid.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I was doing round up posts and then I quit because no one was commenting on them. But I did really enjoy writing them. Maybe I should start again. You've given me some ideas. I really like how you choose a winner and a dud. Wish I had thought of that.

    You and I are spreading the stupidity of Wake, one reader at a time. ;)

    ReplyDelete